Tuesday, April 15, 2014

All this shabby talk about chalk paint

There's so much shabby chic going around, and it does look great in a beach house.  Plus there are some pieces we have that just won't make that transition and need a new wardrobe.

For years I've scoped furniture at boutiques and thrifts that have great personality but poor veneers and missing hardware. Walking through one yesterday, I saw a lovely teal side table complete with distressed edges. I'm examining it like a surveyor when out of nowhere, Bill appears, a rugged, friendly guy who asks me if I like the paint and if I know what it is. Feeling guilty as I really was looking for technique vs. a purchase, I fessed up quickly and answered correctly, "chalk." For the next 20 minutes Bill became my new BFF and taught me everything there is to know about vintage paint.

Ironically, many of the pieces he has for sale I have or are in my Mom's basement waiting for adoption.  Bill also gave me his personal recipe to make chalk paint. Why? Chalk paint has become a cottage industry, but to me, it's like organic bananas: You pay 3x more for it and you really have to wonder why. Coincidentally, when I got home, a $14-4 ounce SAMPLE jar of Annie Sloan Chalk paint awaited me.  

So here's the down and dirty on how to pull off the look:


Supplies:  
-Chalk Paint (brand name or make your own...the best recipe Bill advised is found by googling "Chalk Paint Plaster of Paris"--Lowe's also has a recipe out there) 
-Soft bristle brushes
-Sealing Wax (again, a brand name or SC Johnson or Minwax Clear Finishing Wax--my .02, this is where a more organic product matters as the smell gets a little heavy)
-Fine sand paper
-Cut up cotton tshirts for ragging

1.  Grab something vintagey...I found a 50's shutter hamper begging to be transformed. The joy of chalk paint is it promises to adhere to most any clean surface--so far I've only worked on wood, so ymmv.
To add more character, a saw came in handy :D

2.  Clean the surfaces that you'll be painting to remove any dirt, I used warm water.  You want a good grip for the paint, so if there's a shiny coating, a light sanding would probably be helpful although "they" say it's not necessary. This is also the time to dent your wood a bit with a hammer or some tire chains if you like those rustic marks. Remove any leftover dust and let your piece dry.
3.  Get painting. Annie Sloan's paint was great to work with, went on smoothly, and had little odor. Don't try to be perfect line-maker with this steps, feathering and spreading the paint in a random manner actually results in the more desired shabby finish. You can even paint right over the hardware. Let your paint dry, (about 15 mins) and if you want more depth or just a second coat, go for it.

4.  Get waxing.  This part is a little intimidating at first, although it really all comes together.  With a cotton tshirt rag, rub a thin layer of wax into small sections in a circular motion. You won't need much. Then take a clean rag to buff the wax away. The wax provides the needed protection from stains and again, "they" say waterproofs as well. (You could polyurethane instead, but I like the wax look.)

5.  Now the real fun:  Distressing. With very fine sandpaper or a block, rub the paint in areas that would over time would naturally wear away, and give the hardware a few swipes as well. With a damp cloth, remove any dust.

6.  Repeat step 4 waxing to reseal over any areas you distressed.


Viola...tres chic~


I will be using Bill's recipe soon...wondering if it'll be a contender to pickle trip-out all that birch paneling?!  ❤CM   


    


1 comment:

  1. PS: Some more expert advise here: http://salvagedinspirations.com/best-homemade-chalk-paint-recipes/

    ReplyDelete